Tuesday 8 September 2015

BUILDING A BOARD

I build very slowly. 

This has a lot to do with the dual nature of my HMS Terror project, which aims to create both an accurate model and a complete set of 1845 era plans. The latter has consumed hundreds of hours of my spare time and has led to some interesting side projects. It’s necessary and rewarding work, but it keeps me out of my workshop.  

Another reason I build so slowly is that I enjoy the process of building; figuring out the steps and making the templates and jigs to build accurately. My most recent sub-project was constructing a “building board,” essential for accurately aligning the bulkheads with the false keel of my model. The board needs to keep the false keel perfectly straight and perpendicular, while providing a flat surface for gluing the bulkheads at right angles to the keel.

I started the board by cutting a 1/4“ groove into a 32" long piece of MDF sheet. The groove is just slightly deeper than the false keel on the model, providing a full view of the rabbet, and fits tightly so that the keel remains perfectly straight.

Marking the groove on the MDF sheet. The board is 12" x 32 ". 

I cut the groove into the board with a table saw. MDF is brittle, so care is needed at this stage. 

The stern and stem of the model also needed to be kept perpendicular to the board. To achieve this, I designed two supports, one for the stern and one for the stem, which would slot into the building board groove.  I used a laser cutter to make these from 1/4” MDF sheet; they fit together somewhat like a piece of Ikea furniture.

My custom plans for the stem and stern supports. The idea for the interlocking pieces came from children's toys.  

Cutting the pieces from 1/4 " MDF. My local library provides a 60 watt laser cutter for public use. 

The pieces after cutting. 

The finished supports (stem on left, stern on right). 

It's hard to see, but the support has a rail designed to fit into the groove for proper alignment. 

The supports were glued into place, and their alignment was double-checked with a square. 

I lined the groove with painter's masking tape to prevent damage to the model's keel. 

I lined the supports with masking tape as well. 

The finished building board. 

Instead of using set screws, which might damage the model, I used rubber bands to secure the model in place. In practice
the fit was tight enough that rubber bands weren't really necessary. 

The bulkheads fit tightly and relatively squarely, but it was necessary to use a carpenter's square to
ensure that they were at perfect right angles to the keel. These stainless steel squares from Lee Valley
were perfect for the task.  

The second-to-last last bulkhead is put in place. 

The completed superstructure. It's hard to see here, but two of the forward stations have
alignment issues at the area of the chock channels and bulwarks and will need to be sanded and/or modified with
 trim.  I double checked the plans, and the errors, around 1.5 mm off, seem to have crept in from my
original measurements. These errors weren't large enough to force me to re-cut the stations. 

I'm quite happy with the alignment (the stern looks slightly twisted here, but it's just a trick caused
by the camera angle). 

Midships bulkheads at the position of the rabbet. 

A view of the bottom of the ship. Again, I'm quite pleased with the alignment
(the stem and stern are still little wobbly and will need some filling blocks). 

Mini-Crozer stands on his deck. It's been a long time.  

Mini-Crozier inspects the stern, noting that work is needed on the bearding line.
Though Terror was small by Royal Navy standards, a 102 foot ship was still a
substantial vessel, as this image indicates.  

Mini-Crozier stands at the Captain's sacred spot on the quarterdeck.  

Now that the bulkhead of the model is finally assembled, I can move towards planking it. A significant amount of fairing (sanding to ensure the fore and aft edges of the bulkheads match the ships lines) is necessary, and I hope to finish that shortly. Meanwhile, I've almost completed the "Phillips' Patent Capstan", and I hope to reveal my plans and model here soon. 

13 comments:

  1. So exciting to see how the ship is beginning to take shape! Superb work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a well-known fact that Illuminati consist of Multi Millionaires,
      Billionaires who have major influence regarding most global affairs,
      including the planning of a New World Order. Many world leaders,
      Presidents, Prime Ministers, royalty and senior executives of major Fortune
      500 companies are members of Illuminati. join a secret cabal of mysterious
      forces and become rich with boundless measures of wealth in your company or
      any given business, the great Illuminati can make everything possible just
      contact : join666cult@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1(646)481-0376 EL
      IAI LEXION Thaddeus Iam Vice-President of Citizen Outreach THE ILLUMINATI
      ORGANIZATION

      Do not hesitate to contact us by WhatsApp.

      Whatsapp: +1(646)481-0376
      Email : join666cult@gmail.com

      BEWARE OF SCAMMERS, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REGISTRATION FEE AND YOU MUST
      BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS.
      THANKS...

      Delete
    2. I was searching for loan to sort out my bills& debts, then i saw comments about Blank ATM Credit Card that can be hacked to withdraw money from any ATM machines around you . I doubted thus but decided to give it a try by contacting { cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com} they responded with their guidelines on how the card works. I was assured that the card can withdraw $5,000 instant per day & was credited with$50,000,000.00 so i requested for one & paid the delivery fee to obtain the card, after 24 hours later, i was shock to see the UPS agent in my resident with a parcel{card} i signed and went back inside and confirmed the card work's after the agent left. This is no doubts because i have the card & has made used of the card. This hackers are USA based hackers set out to help people with financial freedom!! Contact these email if you wants to get rich with this Via: cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com ..    

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful work, really painstaking. I'll confess I misted up a little at mini-Crozier on the quarterdeck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is a slow but unstoppable work, like the conquer of the Northwest Passage itself!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello.

    I'm a painter and most of my paintings are of or about the Franklin Expedition. I'm pretty excited you're building the Terror as it housed one of my favourite sailors on the expedition {Petty Officer John Torrington}. I'll be following your work closely, it looks really cool so far. Mini Crozier is adorable.

    -B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to testify about TD Ameritrade who helped me invest my bitcoin and made me who I am today, I never believe in investing in bitcoin until I met TD Ameritrade. I saw so many testimonies about him helping people to invest their bitcoin. I decide to contact him and invested $500 and, after 72 hours, I get my $ 5,000 profit in my bitcoin wallet. Since I invested with them and I always receive my profit without delay, so if you want to invest your bitcoin, TD Ameritrade is the best deal with which you can invest and make profit is a guarantee. So, if you want to invest, just contact him and he will guide you on how to start your investment. Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cảm ơn bài viết rất là chi tiết của bạn, mời bạn xem các thông tin bài sau Tư vấn cho bạn các dịch vụ nha khoa tốt nhất ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Simmone Sills from Spain, I want to share my testimony on how i got the blank ATM card. I was so wrecked that my company fired me simply because i did not obliged to their terms, so they hacked into my system and phone and makes it so difficult to get any other job, i did all i could but things kept getting worse by the day that i couldn’t afford my 3 kids fees and pay my bills. I owe so many people trying to borrow money to survive because my old company couldn’t allow me get another job and they did all they could to destroy my life just for declining to be among their evil deeds. haven’t given up i kept searching for job online when i came across the testimony of a lady called Caro regarding how she got the blank ATM card. Due to my present state, i had to get in touch with Hacker called Alexander Williams of alexanderhackers01@gmail.com and he told me the procedures and along with the terms which i agreed to abide and i was told that the Blank card will be deliver to me without any further delay and i hold on to his words and to my greatest surprise, i received an ATM card worth $1.2million USD , All Thanks to Alexander Williams , if you are facing any financial problem contact him asap email address is alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly. Alexandr Shcolyar

    ReplyDelete

  9. TODAY I GOT MY DESIRED XMAS LOAN AMOUNT $520,000.00 FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY. IF YOU NEED A LOAN NOW EMAIL CONTACT drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello, I'm here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE(drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan. So feel free to contact Dr. Benjamin Owen he holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly without cost/stress via Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Consider all your financial problems tackled and solved ASAP. Share this to help a soul right now THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Best Cryptocurrency Recovery Hackers I've ever known are RecoveryMasters

    Hey, it's Taylor Fey here. I strongly recommend the service of RecoveryMasters,
    I have used them quite a number of times and they have never disappointed me. They does all types of mobile hacks, get unrestricted and unnoticeable access to your Partner/Spouse, Skype, Facebook Account, Email(s), Whatsapp, Instagram, Text messages, Incoming and Outgoing calls, Twitter, Snap Chats, Bank accounts, Deleted files, bitcoin address etc. They can also help you boost your credit score limit and also clear all debts on your card(s).Getting the job done is as simple as sending an email to ( Recoverymasters@email.cz ) stating what you want them to do and their services are cheap and affordable. Don't forget to mention Taylor recommended you

    ReplyDelete