Thursday 16 April 2015

HELPING TO BUILD A DIFFERENT KIND OF MODEL


Erebus drifts south in the ice, a still from Franklin's Lost Ships.
© Lion Television and 90th Parallel Productions.
Image provided by Andrew Gregg, used with permission.

Last week, Lion Television, in collaboration with 90th Parallel Productions, aired a wonderful new documentary, Franklin’s Lost Ships, on CBC’s The Nature of Things. The show was directed by Ben Finney and produced by Andrew Gregg for CBC, PBS, and Channel 4.

The documentary chronicles the 2014 Victoria Strait Expedition, culminating in the discovery of HMS Erebus by Parks Canada archaeologists and their collaborators. The film uses detailed computer graphics, historical reenactments, and interviews to bring the Franklin mystery into sharp focus - in ways we have never seen before.  

One of the most unique aspects of the documentary is the use of computer animations to bring Franklin’s ships, HMS Erebus and Terror, to life. I was fortunate to be asked to consult on the team’s attempt to recreate the ships and I have been corresponding with the producers since December of last year. I know that I wasn't the only researcher they consulted on the ships, so it was definitely a crowdsourced project.


Erebus and Terror push their way through the ice - a still from Franklin's Lost Ships.
© Lion Television and 90th Parallel Productions.
Image provided by Andrew Gregg, used with permission.

Andrew Gregg, a producer for 90th Parallel, oversaw the model construction process, which was undertaken by Redlab Digital, a Toronto-based visual effects studio. Mike Brown of Lion Television was also heavily involved, and Karen Kershaw led the artists at Redlab. The team’s goal, as stated to me, was to produce the most historically accurate reconstruction of the ships possible. My admittedly small role was to provide feedback and comments on the various drafts of the model build.

I sent Redlab copies of my plans and they consulted historical data such as paintings, drawings, contemporary ship models, and the original draughts of the ships. As they constructed the model, the artists would provide rendered images of different angles of the vessel to Andrew and Mike, who would then pass them on to me for comment. The process involved many drafts and I marked-up many images as, polygon by polygon, the ships began to take on a recognizable shape.

Until late February the ships were untextured grey geometric models, but I remember smiling broadly when Andrew emailed the first textured (fully coloured and detailed) render. Here was a complete view of one of Franklin’s ships, with the correct colour scheme and all of her unique systems, and I was thrilled to see it.


Fully textured render created by Redlab, showing a view of the hull of the ship. Note the iron bow plating.
© Lion Television and 90th Parallel Productions.
Image provided by Andrew Gregg, used with permission.

Fully textured render created by Redlab, showing a view of the upper deck. Note the diagonal deck planking.
© Lion Television and 90th Parallel Productions.
Image provided by Andrew Gregg, used with permission.

Fully textured render created by Redlab, showing the ship
covered in ice and snow.
© Lion Television and 90th Parallel Productions.
Image provided by Andrew Gregg, used with permission.

Of course, readers of my blog know that I could never be fully satisfied with the accuracy of any model, and I worried that I would annoy Andrew and RedLab with all of my suggestions for changes. However, I learned quickly that they wanted to include every detail they possibly could, and they made changes to the models right up the last minute possible before their airdate.

Erebus and Terror sail again, a still from Franklin's Lost Ships.
© Lion Television and 90th Parallel Productions.
Image provided by Andrew Gregg, used with permission.


Are there errors in the models? Sure there are. But these are relatively minor given the project and they are primarily because of time constraints. There are issues with the ice channels, the masts and rigging, and the various esoteric fittings bolted to the ship. But I suspect there are only a handful of people on the planet who could point out all of the specific issues (and most of them are currently diving on the Erebus).

I’m convinced that these are the most accurate models of Franklin’s ships ever committed to film, and I want to thank Andrew and Mike for involving me in their great project. I’ve spent the better part of two years trying to build a wooden model of HMS Terror, but I never thought I’d have the opportunity to see her sail in arctic waters again. Watching Erebus and Terror plough their way through the ice allows us to better comprehend the astonishing journey of these remarkable exploration vessels.


If you read my blog, don't miss this wonderful documentary.


Erebus takes advantage of her screw propeller. A still from Franklin's Lost Ships.
© Lion Television and 90th Parallel Productions.
Image provided by Andrew Gregg, used with permission.


Acknowledgments: I would like to thank Andrew Gregg and Mike Brown for allowing me to post renders of the ships and stills from the documentary. It was a pleasure to work with them.




7 comments:

  1. How many life boats did each ship have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a well-known fact that Illuminati consist of Multi Millionaires,
      Billionaires who have major influence regarding most global affairs,
      including the planning of a New World Order. Many world leaders,
      Presidents, Prime Ministers, royalty and senior executives of major Fortune
      500 companies are members of Illuminati. join a secret cabal of mysterious
      forces and become rich with boundless measures of wealth in your company or
      any given business, the great Illuminati can make everything possible just
      contact : join666cult@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1(646)481-0376 EL
      IAI LEXION Thaddeus Iam Vice-President of Citizen Outreach THE ILLUMINATI
      ORGANIZATION

      Do not hesitate to contact us by WhatsApp.

      Whatsapp: +1(646)481-0376
      Email : join666cult@gmail.com

      BEWARE OF SCAMMERS, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REGISTRATION FEE AND YOU MUST
      BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS.
      THANKS...

      Delete
    2. I was searching for loan to sort out my bills& debts, then i saw comments about Blank ATM Credit Card that can be hacked to withdraw money from any ATM machines around you . I doubted thus but decided to give it a try by contacting { cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com} they responded with their guidelines on how the card works. I was assured that the card can withdraw $5,000 instant per day & was credited with$50,000,000.00 so i requested for one & paid the delivery fee to obtain the card, after 24 hours later, i was shock to see the UPS agent in my resident with a parcel{card} i signed and went back inside and confirmed the card work's after the agent left. This is no doubts because i have the card & has made used of the card. This hackers are USA based hackers set out to help people with financial freedom!! Contact these email if you wants to get rich with this Via: cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com ..    

      Delete
    3. iI’m lauriel from New York, United States. I lost my job a few months back after my divorce with my wife. I tried everything positive to make sure I took good care of my kids but all failed, and I was in debt which makes everything worse. I was kicked out of my home and i had to live with my neighbor after pleading with her to allow me to stay with her for some days while I figured out how to get a home which she agreed to, but no one was willing to help anymore. I bumped into this page from google and I was excited about this, then I contacted the hackersBill Dean. I had just $200, so I pleaded with them to help me because of my condition but they never accepted. I believed in this, so I managed to pawn a few things and got $500. I ordered the $10,000 card and I got my card delivered to me by Ups 4 days later. I never believed my eyes! I was excited and upset as well, I managed to withdraw $2000 on the ATM and $2500 the second day. I went to Walmart and a grocery store and bought a couple of things for $3000. The card got blocked the third day and I contacted them and I was told it's a mistake from my end. I’m so happy, I have started all over again and have a good apartment with my kids you can contact him through is via email (globalatmcardhackingservice@gmail.com)or his whatsap contact (+1 301-887-5071)

      Delete
  2. I want to testify about TD Ameritrade who helped me invest my bitcoin and made me who I am today, I never believe in investing in bitcoin until I met TD Ameritrade. I saw so many testimonies about him helping people to invest their bitcoin. I decide to contact him and invested $500 and, after 72 hours, I get my $ 5,000 profit in my bitcoin wallet. Since I invested with them and I always receive my profit without delay, so if you want to invest your bitcoin, TD Ameritrade is the best deal with which you can invest and make profit is a guarantee. So, if you want to invest, just contact him and he will guide you on how to start your investment. Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I'm glad to be able to get extra help. I started using custom writing services https://elitewritings.com/. This service is great. It helps me be a better student. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know is very hard but you make it perfectly. I really love that. It look you spend a lot of time or effort in this article. Now it's time to avail luxury airport transfer for more information.

    ReplyDelete